Monday, June 27, 2011

Tony Robbins, Hypnosis and Success


I’m no longer a hypnotist.

I never had a private practice.

I met Tony Robbins once.

I believe in self-hypnosis and have practiced it for 21 years.

In the early 1990’s I was working as a packaging consultant, had dreams like everyone else of success, had no idea how to find it but knew one day I would. One of my customers would provide the path.

And his message like Tony Robbins has stuck.

My packaging client asked me to come to their office Friday morning. I thought for sure we had screwed up the folding carton, maybe botched the printing. I was nervous. I liked these people, they were always positive, up beat.

I went into the owner’s office. Did I tell you I was nervous? We shook hands. He held it longer then normal. Erickson induction, confusion. Didn’t let go, held it for a beat then spoke.
             “You could be a successful hypnotist if you want to.”

My mind raced. It wasn’t what I was expecting. Took me a moment to think about what to say. I managed to mumble something out and we sat down. He told me a about his company, personal stuff. Emotional stuff about each employee. Eight hypnotists traveling the world. Where they had come from and how their lives had changed. I remember him saying, “This will change your life.”

I went home, took about thirty-five minutes. I remember thinking how my wife would respond. She wouldn’t want me to travel away from home weeks, maybe months at a time.

I told her what had happened. Told her I said no!

She reacted. Told me my customer was right, “It’ll change your life forever.”

All weekend I kept thinking how I blew it. Maybe the opportunity of a lifetime was right in front of me and I didn’t see it. I couldn’t believe I said no.

Tony Robbins does info commercials. I had seen him live a year earlier, was following his principals to be a successful sales person. He was on cable, late at night that weekend. I watched him, got excited, new what I was going to do Monday morning, get the job that was going to change my life.

Monday morning, I phoned the company told them I changed my mind. I didn’t lose the job. I got it. Started training to be a hypnotherapist. Took a month. Was tested and certified by the National Guild of Hypnotists on December 1991.

Travel for over two years facilitation large group seminars throughout Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand. I was helping people. Getting them to quit smoking. Some of the most fulfilling experiences in my life.

Over the years I’ve looked back at how my life has changed. What I’ve accomplished, who I’ve become. One Friday I had said no to the greatest opportunity sitting in front of me. By Monday morning I was beginning the journey. One that would change my life forever.

I understand Tony Robbins, he’s an Erickson trained hypnotist. I understand self-hypnosis, NLP, and the way we talk to ourselves. We are capable of much more than we think we are…

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped - Tony Robbins

Into the Spell, a paranormal thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment